Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Managing Director, Rail Transportation in Washington, District Of Columbia
This incumbent filling this position will be physically located at the Greenbelt Rail Yard, 5801 Sunnyside Avenue, College Park, MD.
Want to drive continuous improvement in a organization that affects hundreds of thouands of people? Join the senior management team of Rail Services at Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (Metro) and lead the operations team to new heights of customer service, employee satisfaction and operational efficiency as we pursue our twin goals of being the mobility provider of choice in the region and employer of choice in the industry.
Metro is seeking a Managing Director for our Rail Transportation (RTRA) department. The ideal candidate is a dynamic leader, a strategic thinker, an innovator with a strong desire to develop the transportation organization to embrace new technology and processes to make our employees safer, to improve the riding experience for our customers and improve cost-effectiveness, all while creating engaging professional development opportunities to attract and retain top talent.
Reporting to the Sr. Vice President, Rail Services, the successful candidate will be responsible for the management of all operational functions for rail service in a demanding environment of a large, diverse public transportation agency. Additionally, you will have overall responsibility for planning, training, and operation of rail service as well as the safety, efficiency and responsiveness of the system to the public it serves. In this role, you will oversee and manage the daily operation of rail car trains, rail stations and the management of the rail operations control center, including development of operating procedures, the identification, promulgation and enforcement of safety regulations, and the implementation of programs to ensure safety of all patrons and Metro’s personnel.
- Bachelor’s degree (Non-specific)
- In lieu of a Bachelor’s degree, a High School diploma with a minimum of 4 years of experience in a public or private sector entity, responsible for managing a complex and geographically dispersed organization, will be considered.
- A minimum of 15 years in a public or private sector entity with at least 7 years responsible for managing a complex organization that is geographically dispersed.
- Experience leading the delivery of services to the public or a large customer base.
- Must have demonstrated leadership and communication skills.
- Possession of valid District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia motor vehicle operator’s permit issued from the jurisdiction of residence.
- Bachelor’s degree in Transportation Management, Business Administration, Planning, Engineering or related field.
- Experience working and/or leading a command center or control center which delivers 24/7/365 services.
- Public transportation experience
- Seven (7) or more years of supervisory management with the demonstrated ability to manage and interact with a union workforce.
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
This is a senior level management position responsible for the management of scheduling and all operational functions for rail service in a demanding environment of a large, diverse public transportation agency. Employee is responsible for the overall planning, training, and operation of rail service provided by the Authority as well as the safety, efficiency and responsiveness of the system to the public it serves. Employee will oversee and manage the daily operation of the rail car trains and rail stations and the management of the rail operations control center.
- Provides senior level management and oversight of planning, coordination and evaluation of rail operations including development of operating procedures, the identification, promulgation and enforcement of safety regulations, the implementation of programs to ensure the safety of all patrons and Authority personnel and the establishment of exceptional employee performance recognition programs.
- Directs, through subordinate leadership staff, the daily operation and management of the Authority’s Metrorail Operations including train operators, passenger stations, terminals, and yards.
- Directs, through subordinate leadership staff, the management of the Rail Operations Control Center (ROCC), Maintenance Operations Center (MOC) customer operations and OCC Training.
- Directs, through subordinate leadership staff, the management and oversight of rail scheduling, as well analysis focusing on improvements of operation reliability, customer service and cost reduction.
- Establishes procedures to ensure that communications between operating, maintenance, and support areas result in the most efficient and safe rail service.
- Directs the development of strategic contingency plans, coordinates emergency procedures and ensures personnel are properly trained and appropriate equipment is available.
- Advises the Assistant General Manager of Rail Operations on matters which may have an adverse impact on rail operations and formulates suitable recommendations to unique situations and problems that arise.
- Effectively ensures efficient operating personnel to fulfill rail service requirements for operations. Responsible for identifying, formulating and recommending budgetary requirements, including personnel and materials to ensure sufficient resources for safe and reliable operations in accordance with financial guidelines, monitors expenditures to assure budgetary controls and efficient operation.
- Ensures that effective rail operations technical training and (in cooperation with HR Talent Management) hourly employee recruitment programs are developed and implemented.
- Stays abreast of the latest developments in the rail transportation field, evaluates findings which might be beneficial to the Authority and administers their implementation as appropriate.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.
Job Title: Managing Director, Rail Transportation
Job ID: 190018
Location: DC-Jackson Graham Bldg-5th Fl
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Posting Open-Close: 2019/02/04 - 2019/03/05