Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Labor Relations Consultant in Washington, District Of Columbia
- A Bachelor’s degree in Labor or Industrial Relations, Human Resources, Economics or a related field.
- Or, in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree four (4) years of experience in contact administration, grievance handling, and workplace dispute resolution in a complex organization may be considered.
- Four (4) years of experience performing advanced professional labor relations and/or employee relations work, with a demonstrated ability in labor relations, dispute resolution, mediation, or other related area or comparable experience administering collective bargaining agreements. Strong knowledge of labor law and oral, written, consulting and diplomatic communication skills evidenced by writing samples and presentation skills.
- Master’s degree preferred Labor/Industrial Relations, Human Resources, Economics or a related field
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.)
- Experience working in a transportation environment
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Labor Relations Consultant executes labor relations strategy in the field at the direction of the Labor Relations Chief Officer. The employee works with significant independent judgement toward established goals. The Consultant works with location managers and employees to problem solve in employee engagement teams. The employee will provide support to the Senior Labor Relations Officers, the department managers and directors and the labor function generally in the areas of contract administration, positive labor/employee relations and contact negotiation.
- Analyzes, interprets and explains provisions of labor agreements. Coordinates related actions with Authority officials and advises same with appropriate information, technical assistance and recommendations regarding a wide variety of labor and management issues.
- Assures consistent and uniform application of policies, conducts and participates in fact-finding investigations and evaluates evidence. Assists managers and supervisory personnel in implementing disciplinary action where appropriate
- Prepares complex narrative reports, correspondence and other documents as assigned while meeting critical deadlines. Makes sound decisions under pressure.
- Advises department managers on labor grievances and arbitration cases. Renders decisions on behalf of the Authority as a Step grievance officer.
- Assists in the development and presentation of effective training tools and conducts training programs for managers, supervisors and executive management regarding labor relations issues.
- Administers the Labor Relations Grievance People Soft tracking at last steps of the grievance procedure and confirms compliance of earlier step information
- Establishes and facilitates grievance resolution and problem solving through employee and labor management collaborative teams
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job Descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.
Job Title: Labor Relations Consultant
Job ID: 190041
Location: DC -Jackson Graham Bldg-7th Fl
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Posting Open-Close: 2019/02/12 - 2019/02/25